What is an FBAR?

01 January, 2016   -   By admin

This post is also available in: Français (French)

What is an FBAR?

An FBAR is the “Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts” that must be filed with the US Department of Treasury.
The FBAR is now filed on FinCen Report 114 (formerly form TD F 90-22.1)


Who Must File an FBAR?

United States persons are required to file an FBAR if:
The United States person had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and

The aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year to be reported.

United States person means U.S. citizens; U.S. residents; Green Card Holders, entities, including but not limited to, corporations, partnerships, or limited liability companies, created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States; and trusts or estates formed under the laws of the United States.

Reporting and Filing Information

A person who holds a foreign financial account may have a reporting obligation even though the account produces no taxable income. The reporting obligation is met by answering questions on a tax return about foreign accounts (for example, the questions about foreign accounts on Form 1040 Schedule B) and by filing an FBAR.

The FBAR is a calendar year report, which must be filed with the Department of Treasury on or before June 30 of the year following the calendar year reported. Generally, extensions of time to file an FBAR are not granted.

The FBAR is not filed with a federal tax return. Any filing extensions of time granted by the IRS to file a tax return does not extend the time to file an FBAR

Since July 1, 2013 – Electronic filing of FBARs is mandatory

UHY Victor LLP is authorized to file FBAR’s electronically on behalf of the person who has the obligation to file an FBAR.

US taxpayers holding foreign financial assets may also need to file Form 8938 (Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets) with their 1040 US tax return.

click here


  • http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Report-of-Foreign-Bank-and-Financial-Accounts-(FBAR)
  • http://taxes.about.com/od/preparingyourtaxes/a/TDF90221.htm
Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap