Bottom Reg 102

How can an American employer avoid Regulation 102 withholdings?

If there is ultimately no tax payable expected as a result of the non-resident’s employee’s earnings being exempt from Canadian tax under a tax treaty, a waiver can be obtained to eliminate the withholdings.

There are two ways in which an employer may be relieved of their obligation to withhold taxes under Regulation 102:

Option 1: Non-Resident Employer Certification

A non-resident employer can file an Application for Non-Resident Employer Certification. If approved, the employer certification allows for a blanket waiver to cover all eligible employees who are exempt from paying income tax in Canada under a tax treaty without withholding and remitting tax, eliminating the need for non-resident employees to request waivers of withholding. Non-resident employer certification will be valid for up to two calendar years.

Option 2: Regulation 102 Waiver Application

Employees resident in countries having a tax treaty with Canada that will exempt an employee’s income from tax in Canada can apply for a waiver of withholding tax by completing and filing Form R102-R, Regulation 102 Waiver Application, with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

A completed and signed R102-R must be submitted 30 days before either the start of the employment services in Canada or the initial payment for the employment services

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap